Saturday, September 12, 2009

An Encountering

I was stretching after running at a river bank… on a nice sunny weekend day.
I met a smart lady with two kids.
Conversation starts something like…
Hi, a nice day!
Yes, are running everyday?
Yes, kind of an addiction… I groan with stretch humping popping…
O you speak very good English and looking very fit!
Where are you from? She asked
Thanks, I come from Korea, how about you?
Turkey, I am 30, have been here for 15 years but my English is not so good.
I have never gone to school in here.
I taught myself English at home thought watching TV.
But my husband now has his Turkish channels, so I have to watch Turkish channes instead English channels. Reading Turkish books and magazines. I can not read English books.
She flicks her shinning eyelids, dark embossed innocent irradiation in her eyes.
Your English is very good, me too, my English is Kon-glish, what can you do, you just speak speak your mouth like goose mouthed, you tongue tucked into tungsten line, bburk bburk quurrk guurkk…heheh…
I was reading lots of books; read everything English, watching lots of English Cartons, Disney things! Yes moves, speak qurkk quirk… whether anyone understood or not!
No shame my gain! My voice was getting dark low toned excited.
Well I don’t a have chance to see these, I am busy for cooking cleaning….
Anyway they are my two children.
I take them school, picked them up every day and cook and cleaning, that is all I do.
I only mingled with lots of friends speak same language.
O but I want to learn, when they grow up next years so,
I will go to school, want to learn English,
O some others thing too,
But my husband doesn’t like that idea either.
He wants me stay at home and looking after the children.
But I want to go to school, study and want to work someday.
They will grow up speak only English, they will want us to speak English too, not only Turkish.
You have to be with them all time when you have children. I don’t have time for myself.
Her mouth was spilt into an accumulated heated steam-cooker; fast, fierce and urgent and whisper O yes hers was whispers… desperation…eager and sincere…murmur…
Or bewildement of her own unexpected spills to a total stranger!
O of course you can go to school, of course you want to know lots of things.
If I were you I would tell him that if he were ever a really intelligent man he would prefer a loveliest mind boggling wife on beside of him, instead a forgotten dumb-bum nagging ugly wife at his backseat. I baffled.
O I don’t understand what you are saying… that is my husband, I have to go…, bye, a nice talking to you…
Do you have any children?... she asked
No, I said.
You are very lucky! No, children why?... She is gone