Saturday, October 4, 2008

Greg Mankiw's Blog: Charity and the Would-be Veeps

Greg Mankiw's Blog: Charity and the Would-be Veeps

Used to my grandmamma gives away lots of things. Mostly not money through; crops from the field and sea. She gave money to Buddhist temple where our granduncle was a monk, and when a monk visited us and a shaman, donation to death and birth rituals, and her grandchildren birthdays. She was also something of an herbalist medico. I don’t know what it was but she made almost every seasons, all her field were on her disposal, all materials from our land. Picked crops, plants, roots barks and flowers, washed and dried and boiled days days, rolling into bean size tablets and dried at the sun, just like vitamin we are buying from supermarket. Her case was all hand made with her loving. I used to dread to having a such bitter things. She sent out all her children and grandchildren and neighbors, name on it. She used to say vitamin we bought from store were fake, hers authentic. I didn’t believed at the time but I believed now she was right least because of her love. She was born into a large Confucius-Buddhist scholarly family; ninth among ten daughters and one son. So learnt old traditional role of women; her other craft were cooking embroidery. I have been thinking she was deeply caring who around her. She truly believed her caring was her duty. I am not sure that is called charity in today sense since I didn’t know in that area. Bit of shame, why didn’t I inherit bit of her caring gene? Caring is come from gene, within you your soul I think, I am a truly selfish in many ways I only care about myself. I am going to tell myself “ be nice be nice Young Sun, be nice a girl, be a good girl hu?

No comments: